Pear Body Shape: Do's and Don'ts

As we all know, women come in all shapes and sizes and we can't possibly simplify them down to a few groups (i.e, curvy, pear). However, knowing the basic shape of your body can help you in figuring out how to dress it to achieve the most flattering silhouette. I don't think anyone should limit themselves to clothing prescribed by their specific shape. In other words if skinny jeans arn't recommended for your body, i certainly don't think you should eliminate skinny jeans from your wardrobe (I sure don't!!!). But having a good understanding of your body type may simply inform the way you put outfits together. I am not going to go on a preaching rampage, but we all know that in this day and age body perfection is shoved in our faces every waking moment. If you don't look like Gisele or Miranda Kerr you should absolutely go on a juice fast followed by intense boot camp sessions. But on the other hand we have women like Kim and Khloe Kardashian who give the message that you don't have to be stick thin to be perceived as beautiful. Let's not forget the constant pressure put on even them to be thinner though (QuickTrim advertising, Khloe being bullied in the media). What I'm saying is info. we ALL know, but it is very difficult to change it or be exempt from it. That's why knowing and becoming comfortable with your specific body shape can help in increasing confidence, especially when you have information about how to dress your body to make you feel the best about yourself. I feel like body image, shape, weight ect. is such a sensitive subject and almost anything you say can be perceived as offensive to someone somewhere. I truly hope nothing I have said in anyway offends anyone, I encourage everyone, including myself, to make the focus being healthy and happy verses being thin and damn starving! Ha!
      So, based on some online sites I have seen, because the measurement of my bust is slightly smaller than the measurement of my hips, I am considered "pear shaped."

 I would consider this outfit a "do" for my body. The maxi dress de-emphasizes my hips and creates a long silhouette. The jean vest creates body on my upper half to help balance out my hips.
 I would consider this more of a "don't" for me. The high-waisted shorts create a lot of additional body on my lower half, further emphasizing my hips. The waist is highlighted in this outfit, which is something I want, but the tightness of the shirt shrinks my upper body making the lower half the focus. The shorts are also a busy print, drawing attention to the hips and thighs.

I think this is one way to make this outfit a bit more balanced. The jacket doesn't match, I know, but I didn't have a blazer that did so I had to improvise :-). By adding a blazer, there is now volume on the top as well as the bottom, reducing focus on the hips. The jacket also ends in a spot that helps to narrow the hips.

This was a fun and different post for me to do! I hope if this wasn't helpful to anyone at least it was entertaining! I will definitely be doing more of this in the future hopefully! Have a great Saturday Xxx.