The Makeup Beginner's Starter Kit Suggestions

If you are brand new to makeup, it can be overwhelming trying to decide what to buy first! There are SO many options out there and making "blind" purchases can end very badly. I have been dabbling in makeup for quite some time now and I have tried tons of different products. I also stay very up to date on what people are liking in the "beauty world" in terms of both high end and drug store products. I put together a list of products that I think are really safe bets for the makeup beginner. Purchasing just a few key items can help ease the transition from wearing no makeup to wearing makeup. I tried to choose "fuss-free" products that don't require a lot of practice to apply. I also made sure almost everything is very affordable. Here they are, hope this helps and please leave your thoughts in the comments section!
Face

Maybelline Dream Fresh BB Cream
If you are not used to putting something on your face, skipping right to a full-fledged foundation may feel really weird and heavy, like you are wearing a mask. I think a BB cream is a great product to help get you used to the feeling of wearing foundation. The coverage is heavier than a tinted moisturizer but much lighter than a foundation, so you don't have to worry about getting the color exactly right. This is also a drug store brand so you won't be spending a ton of money!

Maybelline Dream Lumi Touch Concealer
Anyone who follows my blog is well aware that I LOVE this concealer, especially for dark under-eye circles. I have tried a myriad of concealers, drug store and high-end and have yet to find one as effective as this for the cost. Because I have tried so many, I can recommend this product to any makeup beginner with absolute confidence.

Maybelline Dream Matte Powder
I did not even realize I chose all Maybelline products until just now! This is an optional one for the makeup beginner. However, it can be really effective for reducing shine and keeping concealer and anything else you use on your face in place. It is also translucent, so you don't have to worry about matching the color. I use this product personally and find that it works really well. I have also heard good things about the Rimmel Stay Matte Pressed powder.

NYC Smooth Skin Bronzing Face Powder
I don't use this bronzer personally, but I have read a lot of great things about it. Its matte and creates a subtle bronze without leaving the skin orangey looking. This will help it look more natural Its also extremely affordable at under $3. This is a great bronzer to try for the makeup beginner.

Maybelline Fit Me Blush
Another Maybelline product! I chose this blush because of how subtle it is. It's not one of those blushes that you touch the brush to your face and your instantly transformed into a clown. You can basically load this on and not get a huge amount of color. This can be a downfall, but it is actually a huge plus for the makeup beginner because you can start with a very subtle color and build it as you become more comfortable.

Eyes
Naked 2 Urban Decay Eyeshadow Palette
This is the only expensive item that I included in this "beginner's kit."I included it because I think it is the perfect makeup palette for someone just starting out with makeup. The quality of the eye shadows are great and everything comes in one, cohesive package. You get a bunch of neutral, everyday type colors, which are most likely what a makeup beginner will wear the most (unless you go directly to electric blue which is fine too ;-) ). This palette will last you forever and it also comes with a high quality brush that I actually use all the time!

Maybelline Color Tattoo in Barely Beige
I swear I am not endorsed by Maybelline, ha ha! I chose to include this because it is super quick and easy for a busy morning. This will create a really sheer, subtle shimmer on your eye lid and is made to last all day (although it usually creases after a few hours for me). This can also work well as a base for other eye shadows.

Covergirl Clump Crusher Mascara
This is a great mascara because it creates length and volume with zero clumping. You won't have to work and work to achieve great looking lashes- the brush makes it totally fool proof.

Lips
Revlon Just Bitten Kissable Lip Stain & Balm in Charm
This is the perfect lip product for the makeup beginner because it isn't something that needs frequent re-application and attention. Its a stain but does not leave your lips feeling dry, so it wears great all day and you will probably forget your wearing it at all! This is also a very subtle pinkish color that will look pretty natural. Overall, its a low-maintenance lip product that is a must have for a beginner's collection.

Brushes
I absolutely love makeup brushes because I find them so important in creating the looks I want. However, for someone that is just starting to dabble in makeup, nice brushes are not necessary just yet. You could easily start with an inexpensive set from the drugstore such as Essence of Beauty brushes or EcoTools. You can also get a slightly upgraded set for not a lot more from Sigma Beauty or Real Techniques.