Concealer 101

There are so many concealers out there it is so hard to know which ones to choose and what to use them for! I have tried quite a few concealers, so I thought I would tell you a little bit about each one so you can be a better informed consumer!

For under-eye concealing
Neutrogena Healthy Skin 3-in-1 Concealer

This concealer claims to work as both a concealer and an eye cream. I was immediately drawn to it because my under-eyes can get really dry, especially in the winter. It does provide nice moisture, but it doesn't deliver as much coverage as I would like to hide my dark circles. If you don't have a huge problem with darkness, this could be a great option for you- but if your like myself you may need to hold off for a more pigmented product.

Maybelline Age Rewind Concealer

This is a great option for concealing under-eye darkness. It is slightly pinkish in color which really helps brighten-up eye bags. It also provides a good amount of coverage and isn't super drying. Although some may dislike the applicator, I actually think it delivers a smooth application that I really like.

Maybelline Dream Lumi Touch Concealer

One of my favorite under-eye concealers EVER! This product is so amazing for bringing light to the under-eye area while simultaneously concealing. It has very pink under-tones, again great for brightening and will instantly make you look more awake. A downside is that the writing on the packaging wears off extremely quickly. As you can see mine is completely gone! Other than that- you can't go wrong with this concealer.

Revlon ColorStay Concealing Pen

This is a nice product, but one I rarely reach for. It has Titanium Dioxide, which is a brightening ingredient, and does do some nice things for that under-eye darkness. It also has decent concealing power and the fact that it's Colorstay means it should last a while- but for some reason I always reach for my Dream Lumi Touch over this one. Maybe it's just preference because overall this is an effective product!

NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer

I bought this product after Youtube guru Gossmakeupartist claimed that it is completely crease-proof. I totally disagree that it's crease proof, but it is an extremely effective concealer. Whenever a product has the word "radiant" in it, you know it should be used for highlighting and NOT concealing. Anything with shimmer will make your blemishes stand out, which is obviously not something we want. This concealer is very creamy in consistency (hence the name) and delivers tons of pigment, while also brightening. An all-over winner!-and you pay for it for almost $30.

MAC Prep and Prime (lightest color)

This isn't so much a concealer as it is a highlighter. It's yellow tones do amazing things for neutralizing under-eye darkness and creating an overall bright and highlighted area. I love this product, it is a complete winner! You can see how I used it to replicate Kim Kardashian's infamous highlight/contour routine here!

For concealing blemishes

Revlon Photoready Concealer

Overall this product does a nice job concealing blemishes. The "crayon" style packaging makes application quick and easy and it's thicker consistency helps with covering the redness of unsightly zittos. No real complaints, but it certainly isn't a "holy grail" type concealer. I did a full review on this here!

Neutrogena SkinClearing Concealing Pen

I was drawn to this product for obvious reasons- it helps heal your blemishes while concealing! In theory- it sounds fantastic-but in practice its just an o.k. concealer. I find it works best when you let the product dry a bit before blending it over the blemish!

Either/Or

Covergirl + Olay stick concealer

This is a product that could really go either way- you could use it for under eye concealing as well as blemish concealing. It works for under-eyes because its moisturizing enough not to completely dry out the area- it works for blemishes for these same reasons. I personally wouldn't use this for under the eyes, just because it doesn't have the brightening qualities I look for, but I certainly use it for concealing blemishes. Overall its a nice product, but again, not mind-blowing!

And that's it! As you can see, my concealer quest is pretty heavily weighted on the side of under-eye concealing. I am always looking for that amazing, magical product that will make my dark circles and bags disappear! Of course, I haven't come across it just yet, but the products I have do a pretty nice job! I hope this helped prepare you to tackle the world of concealers and gave you some insight into which product may work best for you!

26 comments :

  1. Such an informative post! I typically use Maybelline Age Rewind Dark Circle Eraser... I like it but I'm looking for something better. Next I'm going to try MAC Pro Longwear concealer and the Dream Lumi that you suggested!

    Sarah
    Eyeshadow Addicts Anonymous