5 Tips for Dry Under-Eyes

Hi guys! There are some fantastic things about this time of year...the holiday lights everywhere, Christmas music on the radio, fresh snow falls, reading by the fireside- I could go on and on! I love the cozy feeling of the holiday feeling...what I don't like is the havoc that the chilly weather can reek on our skin! My skin changes significantly from season to season. During the warmer months, it tends to be combination/oily and I only really wear mattifying foundations to keep the greasiness under control. During the colder months, my skin starts to crave moisture and it can get super dry and irritated. I have sensitive skin to begin with, so when it gets dry I have to use the most gentle products to avoid a burning or stinging sensation. The area that becomes the most problematic, though, is definitely underneath the eyes. If your like me, this area can become dry, flaky, irritated and prone to fine lines and wrinkles. So, through lots of trial and error I have come up with a few ways to keep that area nice and moisturized during these longgg winter months!

1. Argan Oil

It is no secret I ADORE Argan Oil. It is something I use in one way or another every single day. If you aren't already using this and you suffer from dry under-eyes, you definitely need to pick some up. There are two ways to use Argan Oil that will help that area. One, use it as your makeup remover. Harsh chemically makeup removers are going to sting and irritate already dry eye areas and they will further dry you out. Argan Oil is moisturizing and extremely gentle. Two, use it as a nightly moisturizer just in the under-eye area. You can use this all over your skin, but if you have another preferred moisturizer just placing it under your eyes is a great way to inject some moisture. Use it directly after a shower and it should absorb pretty quickly. Just before you go to bed apply a second round of Argan Oil or a super moisturizing under-eye cream.

2. Change up your face wash

A lot of us use face washes that target blemishes. These face washes often contain harsh ingredients that are typically very drying...great for acne, not so great for moisture. If you are really suffering from dry skin, you may want to consider changing up your skincare routine with a different face wash. Go for one that seals in moisture and doesn't strip off your natural oils. Some examples of this type of face wash are: the Soy Face Cleanser from Fresh, Josie Maran Argan Cleansing Oil, and Lancome Galatee Confort Milky Creme Cleanser. This will help your entire face feel more nourished including underneath your eyes.

3. Consider your concealer

Concealer is something that most of use on a daily basis to cover those pesky dark circles. It is a fantastic tool for coverage, but can be dry skin's worst nightmare. Dry, flaky under eyes covered with concealer is both unsightly and uncomfortable. To help remedy this, I highly recommend finding a concealer with moisturizing properties. Go for anything that's creamy and rich. I am a HUGE fan of Benefit's Erase Paste. It is insanely moisturizing and the coverage is fantastic. I would also recommend NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer and MAC Studio Finish Concealer.

4. Powder power!

When you think about a powder, you think about something that sets your makeup and controls oil. Well, the setting part is great, but we really don't want to put something that is meant to suck up all excess oil beneath our eyes where it is already very dry. Putting a typical oil-controlling powder under there will further increase the dryness and emphasize fine lines...yuck! I did this for a long time, reluctantly but without much of a choice...there really aren't many powders that don't dry your skin. Until...I came across Stila's Hydrating Finishing Powder! I found it on Hautelook and was so siked. It helps to set your under-eye concealer without over drying. Before seeing this I didn't even know hydrating powder existed...it kind of seems like an oxy-moron! bareMinerals and Josie Maran make similar products...give them a try!

5. Choose your cream carefully!

The under eye cream you use is very important and, unfortunately, may take some trial and error to find the right one for you. I have purchased very high quality creams that irritate and dry my skin, I have purchased inexpensive creams that I love. Keep in mind I have very, VERY sensitive skin, especially under my eyes. More often than not a cream will cause my skin to react badly as opposed to positively. If you are not using an under eye cream at all, I definitely suggesting starting that regiment. It will not only help dry skin now, but it will reduce the formation of fine lines and winkles later one. Currently I am using Kiehl's Creamy Eye Treatment with avocado, which is pretty nice. In the past, I have really liked Bobbi Brown Hydrating Eye Cream and bareMinerals Renew and Hydrate eye cream is nice for the price.

Another quick tip: During the winter we are constantly blasted with dry heat, which does not help our dry skin. Putting a humidifier in your bedroom at night to help add moisture to the very dry air may also aid your skin.